Plan of Study:
This is a program based on a breadth-first implementation of the Association for Computing Machinery/Special Interest Group Information Technology Education (ACM/ SIGITE) core curriculum that meets the requirements of Purdue University Calumet instructional guidelines. This breadth-first implementation has the student touch each individual topic at an introductory level in the first two years and the SIGITE core is made up of general education courses and specific Information Technology requirements of the accreditation guidelines.
The core courses span knowledge areas that include problem solving, algorithm development, database implementation, project management, human computer interaction, information assurance and security, networking technologies, platform technologies, and operating systems implementation.
The department supports four state-of-the-art and cutting-edge technology virtual classrooms/labs in the Powers building allowing students to access our courses and labs from anywhere and at anytime. Digitally recorded modules may be archived and available as Podcasts or viewed as live or recorded Webcasts so students can work on a self-paced basis.
The following are the Program Educational Objectives (PEO’s) for the Baccalaureate Degree in Computer Information Technology (CIT):
Program Educational Objective 1:
- The program will produce graduates that are information technologists with applied research, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Program Educational Objective 2:
- The program will produce graduates that are professionals, leading industry direction with excellence in providing solutions to business needs.
Program Educational Objective 3:
- The program will produce graduates that are future information technology leaders.
Program Educational Objective 4:
- The program will produce graduates that are life-long learners who have a commitment to service within the community.
Program Educational Objective 5:
- The program will produce graduates that are citizens of the world, sensitive to state, national and global initiatives through technological solutions.
*Accredited by the Applied Science Accreditation Commission (ASAC) of ABET, http://www.abet.org.