Table of Contents
- Before initiating the internship process, a student must have the approval of the Faculty Internship Coordinator.
- Students are ultimately responsible for securing their own internship, which should be aligned with their area of study.
- Before enrolling in the course, and with the Faculty Internship Coordinator’s permission, students are required to schedule an interview with the prospective internship agency/organization.
- For a 3-credit internship course, students are required to work a minimum of 15 hours per week, for the duration of the academic semester, including summer.
- Interns are required to conduct themselves in a professional manner and follow the sponsoring agency’s rules and regulations.
- If any problems or issues arise during the internship, the student should immediately contact the Faculty Internship Coordinator for assistance.
- As an intern, you should approach the job with a positive attitude, showing enthusiasm and energy. A competent communication strategy to apply in most situations is to listen more than talk.
- Keep in mind that you learn by asking questions. Your supervisors expect to answer relevant questions.
- Be a self-motivated intern and take initiative. Your supervisors expect you to see them when problems arise, but be prepared to offer solutions to those problems as well.
- Make every effort to work on your natural talents and abilities, and don’t forget to improve your weak skills as well.
- Some important aspects of job performance are: recognizing the importance of always being on time, wearing appropriate attire, giving proper notice if unable to work or meet an assigned deadline, and behaving in a professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Try to secure an internship out of your comfort zone. Doing an internship in Chicago, with a company and place that is not familiar to you will provide opportunity for quality personal and professional growth.
- Do the internship with 100% effort. It could be an opportunity for a future job offer, and certainly might be helpful as a future reference for employment.