The Center for Career Opportunities requires all students participating in On-Campus Interviewing cancel interviews in advance. When you fail to cancel your interviews in a timely fashion or do not appear for your interviews, your actions reflect poorly on you as an individual and on the University as a whole. Not only do you inconvenience the employer, but you may also deprive another student of a valuable interview opportunity. These situations, if unchecked may also have more serious implications on the University’s relationships with employers overall.
Therefore, the Center for Career Opportunities treats these incidents very seriously and advises you to take special note of the following Cancellation and Missed Interview Policy.
Interview Cancellation Policy
- Cancellations will NOT be accepted via e-mail or voicemail.
- Students of the West Lafayette Campus must appear in person in STEW 194 to complete paper work before an interview can be cancelled.
- Regional Campus Students (Purdue Calumet, IUPUI, Purdue North Central and IUPU Ft Wayne) needing to cancel interviews are required to work through their Regional The Career Center office. The Regional Campus Liaison will forward the information regarding the cancellation.
- No cancellations will be accepted the final 72 hours prior to the start of an employer’s visit.
- Site visits do not guarantee a job offer. Always investigate an alternate date with the employer before you cancel an interview.
In the event of sudden illness or serious personal emergency on interview day, students are expected to contact the CCO at (765) 494-3981 prior to their interview time. Employers check-in between 8 and 8:30 AM and should be notified prior to that time.
Note: if for any reason you find that you cannot attend the interview, it is your responsibility to speak personally with the employer representative, and explain why you will not be attending the interview. Be aware however that the employer may report you for missing your interview. If you cancel an appointment directly with an employer, keep CCO informed. If you are emailing an employer with a cancellation and have given the employer ample notice “CC” carbon copy email@example.com of this cancellation and the communication. Remember the recruiter may not receive a late e-mail cancellation due to his or her travel arrangements. You are responsible for notifying the recruiter in a timely fashion, if you are unable to attend your previously scheduled interview. The “24 hours prior to the start of the interview day” rule will apply for all cancellation notifications.
Employers typically are not in the office on weekends. Monday appointments should be cancelled no later than Friday morning.
If you miss an interview…
- Your CCO Express account will be locked.
- You will receive an e-mail from CCO with instructions to come to STEW 194 immediately to resolve this matter.
- You will be required to meet with a drop-in counselor and discuss the reason you missed the business appointment to which you committed.
- The discussion and your reason for missing the interview will determine whether or not your file will be reactivated and if you will have the opportunity to use CCO Express in the future. You are directed to attend all previously scheduled interview appointments while your case is pending. Any additional missed interviews will cause more damage to your situation.
Back to the Center for Career Opportunities (CCO) page.