Students may take any number of credit hours each semester. However, to be considered full-time, students must carry at least nine credit hours (or six hours + an assistantship) in a semester. International students are required to be full-time student in the spring and fall semesters except during the final academic session.
Part-Time and Intermittent Study
Although it is not generally recommended, some students find it necessary to pursue graduate study on a part-time basis or be absent for a period of time. Part-time students must, like full- time students, be registered any time they use University facilities or receive faculty supervision.
Students who have interrupted their graduate study must submit a new application if three or more consecutive academic sessions (including summer session) have elapsed since their last registration.
Course credits earned by a student whose graduate study has been inactive for five years or more cannot be used on a plan of study for an advanced degree. A plan of study approved prior to such a period of inactivity is invalid.
The total number of hours of academic credit used to satisfy degree requirements consists of all graduate courses that appear on the Plan of Study.
- More than 50 percent of the credits must be earned through Purdue University Calumet.
- The remaining credits may be accepted from other Purdue campuses. Furthermore, up to nine hours of graduate biology courses from other universities may be accepted. All transferred courses are listed in the related area on the Plan of Study and must be approved by the Graduate Advisory Committee.
- Any student (whether on appointment or not) must be registered for research during each semester or summer session when doing research utilizing faculty direction or reviews and thesis writing. A student’s research registration should be roughly proportional to the amount of time devoted to research activities.
Registration in the Final Academic Session
- All students must be registered in the session of graduation.
- Students with outstanding incomplete grades for courses listed on the Plan of Study will not be permitted to graduate.
- Privileged Registration
Examination Only Registration A student who has completed the Graduate School’s residency requirement (30 hours for a master’s degree) and who has finished all degree requirements except for the final examination and depositing the thesis prior to the first day of the academic session of graduation may request registration of “Examination Only” at a reduced fee.
Degree Only Registration A student who has completed the Graduate School’s residency requirement (30 hours for a master’s degree) and who has finished all degree requirements except depositing the thesis and for whom a positive Report of the Final Examination has been received in the Graduate School prior to the first day of the academic session of graduation but who has not been awarded the degree may request registration for “Degree Only” at a reduced fee.
Approval Privileged registration requires Graduate School approval. The completed Course Request (Registrar’s Form 23) should be sent to the Graduate School prior to registration.