Student Stories: Na-Jee Harris

Biology Student Na-Jee Harris

Biology Student Na-Jee Harris

Na-Jee Harris
2012 B.S. & 2014 M.S. Biology

Accepted to University of Illinois- Chicago, College of Dentistry Urban Health Program

I was born and raised on the Southside of Chicago and graduated from Morgan Park High School in 2007. Entering college as a first generation college student, Purdue University Calumet was the perfect school for me. The biology program offered a variety of interesting courses with small classroom sizes and wonderful professors.  My favorite course taken at PUC is Advance Cell Biology taught collectively by Dr. Feng-Song Wang and Dr. Radmila Sarac. Together, they both offered a course that was challenging and interesting. However, my overall favorite professor is Dr. Evert Ting. She is a professor who has high expectations and can see a students’ potential. Her tough exams pushed me to study harder and learn more. In my opinion, they are the reason why I continue to love biology.  Because of my PUC experiences, I’ve been accepted into UIC’s College of Dentistry Urban Health Program.  My career goals as a dentist are to use my experiences growing up in urban area to help educate low-class areas about the importance of dental health.  As a student at PUC, my involvement in student leadership and academics has shaped me to become a well-rounded student that has the knowledge and understanding of the importance of giving back to my community.  I plan to achieve this as a dentist in the future!