HHMI Summer Undergraduate Research Experience Opportunity – Deadline Extended to Feb 10th

The  Department of Biological Sciences will nominate one undergraduate student to participate in the 2014 HHMI (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) Summer Undergraduate Research Experience Program at Purdue West Lafayette from June 2 to July 25, 2014.  Students selected by this program will receive a $3600 stipend for participating in the program and some financial support for travel expense.

About the Program

This summer research program will bring together faculty and undergraduate students from an array of academic institutions (Purdue University WL, Purdue Calumet, Purdue University North Central, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, Franklin College, Morehouse College, Saint Mary’s College, Tuskegee University, and Wabash College) and disciplines (biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, and statistics) to provide a facilitated “hands-on” experience focusing on experiment design and statistical analysis within the context of life science-related research projects.

The research projects offered for 2014 have been selected to emphasize the use of quantitative and statistical tools in current life science-related research.   The research projects will be hosted and mentored by Purdue University faculty from biology, biochemistry, statistics, and biomedical engineering.  In addition to the placement and immersion into an undergraduate research experience, there will be weekly quantitative training sessions and lunches to help foster a community of learning.  For further information on the HHMI Program at Purdue University in West Lafayette, please see:  http://hhmi.bio.purdue.edu.

Application

To be considered for this  research opportunity, please submit a one page statement including the following information to Dr. Evert Ting, ting@purduecal.edu before February 10, 2014: your name, Purdue ID, contact information, biology courses that you have taken, your research experience, and how this program may help you to reach your academic goals.

Experience of a Previous Participant – Ryan Mihalic

“The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) funded summer research program at Purdue University was an amazing learning experience for me. I was able to be immersed into a research lab for two months and learned a great deal in the field of tissue engineering. Without this program, I would have never had an interest in the subject that I studied. Other benefits to the program were the weekly statistics training sessions where we were taught to use Purdue’s statistical analysis software titled SAS, and more specifically I was taught how to run a two-way ANOVA test for my data. Weekly lunch meetings with fellow participants of the program allowed for us to learn from one another about all the projects we were working on and also on our own individual career goals. I found that many of the other students wanted to go on to Medical School like myself, which allowed for us to discuss how we each plan or have already planned to accomplish this. Also, field trips to IU Medical School, an MRI laboratory, and a nanotechnology laboratory showed us possible career choices. Overall, I feel that because of the program I have grown as a student and I am better prepared to do research than I was before I went. I definitely recommend all students to apply for this program if they can because it is truly an experience that I will never forget.”