Pre-Physical Therapy at Purdue Calumet – The First Step to Becoming a Physical Therapist
Modified from: The American Physical Therapy Association Website
What does a Physical Therapist do?
Physical therapists (PTs) are highly-educated, licensed health care professionals who can help patients reduce pain and improve or restore mobility – in many cases without expensive surgery and often reducing the need for long-term use of prescription medications and their side effects.
Physical therapists can teach patients how to prevent or manage their condition so that they will achieve long-term health benefits. PTs examine each individual and develop a plan, using treatment techniques to promote the ability to move, reduce pain, restore function, and prevent disability. In addition, PTs work with individuals to prevent the loss of mobility before it occurs by developing fitness- and wellness-oriented programs for healthier and more active lifestyles.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required? Most physical therapist education programs require applicants to earn a bachelor’s degree prior to admission into the professional Doctor or Master of Physical Therapy Program
- The length of professional Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program is typically 3 years. Primary content areas in the curriculum may include, but are not limited to, biology/anatomy, cellular histology, physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, neuroscience, pharmacology, pathology, behavioral sciences, communication, ethics/values, management sciences, finance, sociology, clinical reasoning, evidence-based practice, cardiovascular and pulmonary, endocrine and metabolic, and musculoskeletal. Eighty percent (80%) of the DPT curriculum comprises classroom (didactic) and lab study and the remaining 20 percent (20%) is dedicated to clinical education.
Pre-Physical Therapy Option at Purdue University Calumet
Purdue University Calumet’s biology program offers courses which meet the requirements for application to a Doctor of Physical Therapy program. A wide variety of upper level biology courses are available for students to choose from. Several of the courses have a lab component that allow students to learn laboratory skills and gain hands-on experience using standard testing methods as well as cutting edge techniques. Students interested in PT may also major in other areas, but most complete the required pre-PT course work.
How much does a physical therapist earn?
Data from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, showed that the “median annual wage of physicians and surgeons was $76,310 in May 2010. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. Job growth for physical therapists is strong and is projected to increase 39% as compared with the USA average job growth of 13%.
- For more information on applying to this program visit the Purdue Calumet Admissions webpage.
Graduation Requirement for Pre-Physical Therapy Option – Min 124 Credits
Filed under General News.