David George Biology Alumni Leader 2009

2009 Biological Sciences Alumni Leader: David George

David George Alumni Leader 2009

Mr. David George –Director of Bioinformatics, Precision Biomarker Resources, 820 Davis Street, Suite 216, Evanston, Illinois-60201.

Professional Achievements

Mr. David George graduated with a Master of Science degree in Biology from Purdue University Calumet in 1996. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Roosevelt University in Chicago. He holds a certificate in Computational Genomics from Stanford University, California. In addition he holds a certificate in Complying with 21 CFR Part 11. He serves on the DePaul University Institutional Biosafety Committee. He is also a member of the Purdue University Calumet EMS Advisory Board.

Mr. George joined the Pediatric Brain Tumor Research Program at the Children’s Memorial Research Center (CMRC), Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, in 1997, as its Laboratory Manager. As a member of this program, he was instrumental in developing the Microarray and Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (QPCR) core. At CMRC, David oversaw analyses of pediatric brain tumors using microarray technology, including processing samples and developing molecular classifiers for tumors. He further analyzed the microarray data using real-time QPCR and a number of statistical software packages to create biologically relevant gene lists of pediatric brain tumors. In collaboration with colleagues, he has also used his molecular expertise to study other neurological diseases such as neural tube defects and Parkinson’s disease. He has co-authored 15 peer-reviewed publications, and served as a co-author of over 30 abstracts/ posters.

In April 2006, David collaborated with three scientists from the Pediatric Brain Tumor Research Program at CMRC to found Precision Biomarker Resources, a company based in Evanston, Illinois, which provides automated, high-throughput microarray services for processing genomic and genetic samples. These services primarily serve to expedite the biologic investigations of pharmaceutical, biotechnology and academic researchers. In a few short years, the company has a garnered a prestigious and international client base, and received accolades for the quality of its services.

David married his wife, Anne, in 2003. They share a love for travel and try to visit a national park each year. David is also active in his church, and along with Anne, teaches the 11thgrade Sunday school class.

Mr. George says, “What my Purdue Calumet experience means to me”

My training at Purdue University Calumet has been an invaluable experience for me. I have been profoundly inspired by the faculty, especially Dr. Tseng, Dr. Ting, Dr. Dougherty, and Dr. Mania-Farnell. They inspired me to strive for excellence in my field.

The program was top-quality and truly prepared me for the workplace. In addition, I gained critical-thinking skills and a strong work ethic. The faculty at Purdue are deeply committed to the welfare and success of their students. Some of my professors introduced and recommended me to the Director of the Brain Tumor Research Program at Children’s Memorial Hospital, where I was subsequently employed. The networking opportunities I have received at Purdue have been rich and fruitful.

Over the years, I have enjoyed the benefits of having been trained at a nationally and internationally renowned program. I would unhesitatingly recommend Purdue University Calumet to anyone who is contemplating a career in Biology.