2006 Biological Sciences Alumni Committed to Excellence Award: Dr. Nancy Elwess

Dr. Nancy Elwess

Dr. Nancy Elwess – Associate Professor of Biological Sciences at the State University of New York – Plattsburg

Professional Achievements

Dr. Elwess’ has succeeded on multiple levels and in varied arenas.  She has authored numerous publications in national and international scientific and science education journals, and has presented her research at a variety of national science conferences.

In addition, Dr. Elwess has been awarded a number of honors and awards.  She was the recipient of the National Association of Biology Teachers 2005 College Professor of the Year Award for Teaching and Research.

She received the Alumni Achievement Award (2005) from the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Vermont.  In 2004, Dr. Elwess received the State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Excellence.  This award is one of the highest awards within the State University of New York system (32 campuses serving ~500,000 students).

Finally, Dr. Elwess has established a record of service.   She is presently a member on the Board of Directors for both Eastern Illinois University and the Mayo Clinic.  She also serves as an advisor on undergraduate research for LI-COR Biosciences and on a personal note, she has completed 100 marathons, including 23 consecutive Boston marathons and 9 Ironman triathlons.

Dr Elwess says, “What my Purdue Calumet experience means to me”

“I had a wonderful experience at Purdue, but it wasn’t until after I had graduated that I truly realized just how rewarding and valuable an experience it was. Purdue not only gave me a quality education but it provided opportunities that I never envisioned when I first entered their program.

What impressed me the most was the complete package it delivered from the lectures, inquiry based learning experiences, research and mentoring.  To this day I still feel comfortable calling my former mentor at Purdue and asking for his advice.”