Nineteen Biology Students Awarded Degrees at the 63rd PUC Commencement

On May 20th, 2012, nineteen biology students we awarded degrees at the 63rd Purdue University Calumet Commencement at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Indiana.  Twelve students earned a Bachelor of Science degree and seven students were awarded a Master of Science Degree in Biology.  Lauren Adduci, a student in the Pre-veterinary Science and Medicine program, and Amy Poortinga, a biotechnology major, received the highest distinction at commencement.  Lauren has been accepted into Purdue Veterinary College and will be attending this fall.  Amy, in addition to Ryan Mihalic, was also named a distinguished EMS graduate.

David Warner, one of the first graduates from the 4+1 combined BS and MS program, was among those receiving a MS degree.  He has accepted a teaching position at Heritage Christian High School in Dyer, IN.  He wrote to Prof. Feng-Song Wang: “Nice job carrying the scepter at the graduation ceremony! I was so focused on not tripping on stage, but I heard you cheering. Thanks for all your help and advice and challenging me in your classes throughout my 5 years at Purdue; it’s been a great experience.  My parents were wondering if I am the first person to graduate from PUC in the Biology 4+1 program… If so, I’m glad I could be a successful guinea pig! Hopefully I’ll be able to stop by every once in a while in the future.”