Purdue Alumni Calumet
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
In Attendance: Blanca Aranda, Sheryl Corey, Alex Fenske, Dan Hendricks, Tom Mavronicles, Mike Moskalick, Douglas Ollie, Lisa Sargent, Mary C. Shields, Tom Szczepanski, Diana Virijevich
Absent: Wendell Carey, Jennifer Dinell, Chad Johnson, George Kopanakis, Robert Johnson III, Sylvia Planer, and Barb Synos
Guests: Jordan Bruner, Sherri Ervin, Shontrai Irving
Welcome: The meeting was called to order by Tom Mavronicles at 6:30. The PAC Mission Statement was read by Tom.
President’s Report: Tom Mavronicles
- Tom announced the Chancellor Cohen’s Award Plaque was selected via email by the board members. He will forward this information to Chad Johnson to process for the Boilermaker Ball on February 25, 2011.
- Tom would like all members to review the by-laws as there are some necessary changes to be made. He asked that these be reviewed for discussion at our February meeting.
- Tom introduced Jordan Bruner, Purdue Calumet Athletics Sports Information Manager, who gave an overview of the changes and plans for PUC Sports Program, including the addition of a total of 12 additional sports programs by 2013-2014.
- Tom wishes the Board to consider adding a member from PUC Athletic Department.
Minutes: Mary Shields
- Minutes for the November 7, 2010 meeting were reviewed by members prior to meeting and discussions resulted in several corrections to be made and Mary noted those corrections. A motion was made to approve the minutes after those corrections by Mike Moskalick. This was seconded by Alex Fenske. All were in favor. None were opposed.
Financial Report: Blanca Aranda
- Blanca distributed the financial report as received from West Lafayette. She also distributed the “unofficial” report showing committee expenditures and balances. She stated she will continue to submit the latter as it had been presented previously.
- Included for the board information was a listing of supplementation payments made by Advancement totaling $4,980.46. All were reviewed.
- Current balance as of December 31, 2010 was $8,082.92. Mike noted that an error in shirts ordered needed to be corrected. (2,000 vs. 200).
- A motion was made by Mike Moskalick to approve the financial statement as presented. This was seconded by Lisa Sargent. All were in favor. None were opposed.
Communications Committee: Tom Mavronicles – (substituting for Robert Johnson III)
- There are no activities scheduled currently.
- Tom reported that the banner replacements will be revisited in March.
- Diana stated that the two domains were renewed. Remainder of discussion was tabled until there is a report from Robert Johnson.
New Alumni Committee: Mike Moskalick
- Mike reported on the graduation party at Jalapenos. Attendance to this event was good. He thanked Sheryl Corey who was a great help to this event.
- Mike reviewed the status of the Student delegate program. He expressed that a decision would need to be made. He will submit further information to Sheryl and Diana.
Professional Development Committee: Lisa Sargent
- Lisa presented progress on the Platinum Speakers event which has been scheduled for March 28, 2011. She asked again for suggestions for speakers. Although she would prefer having a Purdue graduate speak, she is open for suggestions as the date is close and all speakers have not been confirmed. The group was asked to forward her any suggestions for speakers.
Social Committee: Tom Mavronicles – (substituting for George Kopanakis)
- Tom reminded everyone about the Bob Hayes award reception which will be held January 22, 2011 when the girls and boys basketball teams are playing. He encouraged board members to attend.
- Tom also reminded on the Tri-Sponsored Networking Event at the Dyer Ginos Steakhouse on January 26, 2011 and encouraged board members to attend.
Purdue Club NWI: Tom Szczepanski
- Tom reported on the activities of the Purdue Club of NWI. The club will be joining our alumni group and the Chicago Club in a business card exchange on January 26, 2011 at Gino’s Steak House.
- The Club’s Spring Dinner will be held in Valparaiso this year on April 20, 2011 and the guest speaker will be Purdue University’s “Bug Man.” All future events are listed on the website.
Purdue Club Chicago: Alex Fenske
- Alex reported on activities and events of the Chicago Club. The Blackhawks event (the club bought a block of tickets) was a success with all tickets being sold.
- A golf outing will be held on June 10, 2011. All future events are listed on the website.
Membership Committee: Doug Ollie
- Doug presented the new committee’s objectives and goals measurement tool (handout).
- The committee will be work with Sheryl Corey to increase PAC memberships
Advancement: Dan Hendricks and Diana Virijevich
- Dan Hendricks was present to discuss several items. He thanked the alumni for their representation at the Grad party in December, which he felt was a great success.
- He also complimented board members on their leadership and dedication to Purdue Calumet.
- Dan stated that the search is underway for a replacement for Chancellor Cohen and this would most likely not be final until later this year.
- Vice-Chancellor Hendricks explained Sheryl Corey’s role as assisting with special events. Currently she has been a tremendous help in planning the May 7, 2011 gala that will honor Chancellor Cohen and his wife, Patty. She would be present at Alumni Board meetings. This will allow Diana to concentrate on advancement activities more fully.
- Diana distributed a letter of appeal for support from Chancellor’s Cohen. She stated that gifts have increased dramatically this year from last.
Potential New Board Members:
- Tom introduced Sherri Ervin and Shontrai Irving who are interested in becoming board members. Tom explained the process of consideration and voting for new members. He asked that all board members take time to review their respective resumes that they submitted.
- Sherri and Shontrai summarized their backgrounds and reasons for wishing to serve on the board.
- If the two candidates are still of interest, they will attend February board meeting and their candidacy will be voted on at that time.
Mike Moskalick motioned to adjourn the meeting at 8:07pm. This was seconded by Alex Fenske.