About Our University/Location
- An academically comprehensive regional university and part of the internationally respected Purdue University system. (Our graduates earn a Purdue degree!)
- Located in Hammond, Ind….less than 25 miles southeast of downtown Chicago, near the shores of Lake Michigan…3 miles east of the Indiana-Illinois state line…off Interstate 80/94.
- A residential campus offering apartment-style, private bedroom living for nearly 750 students.
- 17-building, 167-acre neighborhood campus, as well as an Academic Learning Center offering classes in nearby Merrillville, IN, less than 15 miles southwest of campus.
About Our Academic Programs/Degrees
- Is strategically committed to helping qualified, achievement-oriented students persist and succeed in earning a Purdue degree.
- Offers baccalaureate and master’s degrees plus professional certificates in dozens of fields of study, including such traditional Purdue strengths as engineering; technologies; professional programs of nursing, management/business and education; natural, behavioral and social sciences; communication; and the liberal arts.
- Is distinctive by the inclusion of structured experiential learning—the integration of traditional classroom learning with the applied learning that occurs in a job or other real world setting—including internships, cooperative education, research, study abroad, service learning, design projects, or practica in the academic study programs of all baccalaureate degree-seeking students.
- To help new students get off to a successful start, a Freshman Experience class is offered.
- Graduates have earned more than 45,000 Purdue degrees.
About Our Faculty/Staff/Students
- Many faculty/staff engage in nationally prominent research.
- More than 10,000 students enrolled, ranging teens to senior citizens.
- Minority students, including more Hispanic enrollees than at any other Indiana university or college, comprise one-third of the total body.
- More than 600 international students are enrolled.
About Our Campus Community
- There are opportunities to grow academically and personally through learning communities.
- There are more than 60 student organizations in which to engage and become active.
- There are intercollegiate athletic teams in:
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball
- Women’s Volleyball
- Men’s Golf
- Men’s and Women’s Tennis
- Men’s and Women’s Cross Country
- Men’s and Women’s Soccer
- Coming in 2013-14 Baseball and Softball
- There is a thriving intramural sports program, gymnasium, and comprehensive fitness center.
About Our Commitment to Advance
Positive Change & Economic Growth in NW Indiana
We do so through partnerships, involvement with, and development of the following…
- Purdue Calumet Water Institute
- Energy Efficiency & Reliability Center
- Center for Science & Technology in Education
- Center for Mathematics Teaching & Learning
- Indiana Center for Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
- Center for Global Studies
- Institute for Social and Policy Research
- Center for Innovation through Visualization and Simulation
- Northwest Indiana Small Business Development Center
- Center for Entrepreneurship Success
- Purdue Technology Center of Northwest Indiana
- MBA for Executives Program